Monday 6 April 2015

Evaluation question 1 (embedded document)


In order to gain high marks in the evaluation I have to use different media formats
e.g. PowerPoint, prezi, podcast (TV or radio show), interview and embedded documents (word processed) etc..



Evaluation question 1: In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products

The conventions of horror are

-          Dark and dimmed light setting

-          Rural and open spaces

-          High suspense and tension

-          Quick and sudden shots (range of shots from long to close-ups)

-          Protagonist or victim in the film

-          Emotional instability

-          Forest/woodlands or an abandoned house (haunted)



I have used emotional instability (of the boy), woods, dark/dusk/night, range of shots and timing (gradually getting quicker) in my media product. These media conventions would be used in any professional production. For example, most of the lighting is natural like in many horrors to show realism, especially in the woods and with the trees and the dusk sky for the background. The sound is used to increase the tension and make it an intense atmosphere similar to a professionally made horror. In addition the loud scream that occurs is usual in

Developed by using a physical tripod to set up and stabilize my shots. I have also used a video camera, (Panasonic) which I have placed on the tripod. These challenge real media products because they would probably use a higher quality camera that the one I had to use.

Furthermore, I have used the sub-genre of psychological horror. This is a development and brings new conventions such as more emotional instability and mental trauma. I have used the typical convention of a dark and gloomy woods to create the atmosphere and then relate it to the boy in his sleep.

I have challenged usual forms Challenge – in my casting I use a young boy of only 10 years this is abnormal in many horror films and not many films have a small boy involved in a mentally traumatic psychological horror opening. I think this adds to the affect the film has on the audience watching them. It would be expected that a mid-aged person would be in it. –diagetic use of sound with scream is a unique convention in my media product. This is because the boy hears the scream in his head, as it’s disturbing his mind (while he sleeps) and it goes back to the setting of the woods where it happens. Additionally, I have filtered my video to black, so it all looks the same. This challenges the traditional conventions of a modern day horror as it seems like mine is set back in the late 20th century.













































No comments:

Post a Comment